by Liz Vogel
on 21 October 2016
How to Live to 107: Tips from Cincinnati’s Oldest Holocaust Survivor
Cedar Village resident Esther just celebrated her 107th birthday–and she says she’s planning to be around blow out the candles on her cake for years to come. Here are her tips for how to live to 107:
- Pray. Esther still attends services regularly.
- Spend time with the people you love. Esther has two children (Stanley and Ralph), five grandchildren and 10 great grandchildren who she sees often.
- Enjoy nature. Esther feed the birds every morning.
- Be health conscious! Esther was a health food pioneer before it went mainstream.
- Eat a hearty breakfast every day. Esther served her family oatmeal with garlic, cinnamon and ginger nearly every morning.
- Have a big lunch and eat lightly at dinnertime. Esther often served salad, cheese and possibly rye bread for family dinners.
- Eat chicken without the skin.
- Save the red meat for major holiday celebrations—and even then it should be very lean.
- Substitute honey for sugar. Esther never kept sugar in her kitchen.
- On your 107th birthday, celebrate with sponge food cake—no icing!